Expert training in ultrasound examinations for obstetrics and gynaecology
This interactive online course combines theoretical and practical learning to help you develop competence in carrying out effective gynaecological and obstetric ultrasound examinations.
There is a focus on clinical experiential learning and the course has been designed to provide flexibility to suit heavy clinical workloads. The course incorporates online modules and assessments, Objective Structured Assessments for Technical Skills (OSATS) and ultrasound cases.
What you will learn
On completion of this certificate, you will be able to:
- Select the equipment which is appropriate for an examination and optimise its settings
- Explain the morphological features of a normal early pregnancy
- Diagnose early pregnancy abnormalities, miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy
- Provide your patient with necessary information in a way they understand
- Write a structured report and understand the limit of your competence and when you need to seek advice
- Understand the principles of reporting
- Carry out a biophysical profile score
- Take a proper history including reviewing LMP, previous scans, bleeding and fetal movement
- Carry out an ultrasound examination assessing fetal number, lie, presentation, viability, activity and size
- Carry out an ultrasound examination assessing liquor and the placenta
- Clearly and sensitively communicate the results of an assessment to a patient and to the relevant healthcare professionals
- Complete a structured report
- Understand the normal morphological ultrasound appearances of the female pelvis and its variations during the menstrual cycle
- Diagnose common gynaecological abnormalities and to interpret ultrasound findings in the context of a patient’s clinical history and symptoms
What to expect
This is an interactive online course, delivered through our online learning environment RCPI Brightspace, and supported by real-life implementation of the acquired skills, measured by OSATS.
Are you in Basic Specialist Training?
This course is mandatory for doctors undertaking Basic Specialist Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Ireland.