Upgrade your communication skills for today's healthcare environment
Free of charge
Good communication is central to the doctor-patient relationship and essential to the effective functioning of healthcare teams.
Suitable for all doctors, this online course provides practical guidance on communicating with patients using a person-centred care approach.
You will learn how bias and health literacy can impact on communication, and how to share clinical information in a busy team environment. The course also covers open disclosure and managing conflict.
This course has been developed in collaboration with the HSE and postgraduate medical training bodies in Ireland. It has been specially developed for doctors working in the Irish healthcare system and will highlight additional training courses and modules that are provided by medical training bodies and the HSE.
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the impact of poor communication in healthcare and describe different communication approaches and models in healthcare
- Understand person-centred care communication approaches in the clinician and patient relationship, including communication during a clinical consultation
- Reflect on diversity, and on how bias can impact how you communicate
- Understand the impact of health literacy on how you communicate
- Describe approaches to communicating effectively with colleagues and peers in a team environment, including clinical information sharing
- Consider approaches to giving feedback, being assertive, and influencing and negotiating in your practice
- Recognise the impact of active listening
- Explain approaches to dignity and respect in the workplace, and managing conflict
- Explain open disclosure and best practice