Upgrade your communication skills for today's healthcare environment
Free of charge
Recently it has been highlighted by the Medical Council and others, that good communication is central to the doctor-patient relationship and essential to the effective functioning of healthcare teams.
This online course will introduce doctors in the Irish healthcare service to the core concepts of communication with patients and with each other. It will also provide them with a gateway to access further communication training appropriate to their role by signposting existing skills-training courses and modules currently available across the postgraduate medical training bodies and the HSE.
This course has been developed in a collaborative and integrated approach with the HSE and Postgraduate Training bodies.
What you will learn
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the impact of poor communication in healthcare services and describe different communication approaches and models in healthcare
- Understand person-centred communication approaches in the clinician / patient relationship, including communication during a clinical consultation, and recognise the impact of active listening
- Reflect on diversity and on how bias can impact on how you communicate, and understand the impact of health literacy on how you communicate with patients
- Describe approaches to communicating effectively with colleagues and peers in a team environment, including clinical information sharing
- Consider approaches to giving feedback, being assertive, and influencing and negotiating in your practice
- Explain approaches to dignity and respect in the workplace, and managing conflict
- Explain open disclosure and best practice.